FEB 08, 2021
Joint and Muscle Pain Management: An Ayurvedic's Perspective
Joint pain and muscle pain can be commonly seen among all people. Muscle pains can occur due to overexertion of the muscles or sprains. Joint pain is a more serious problem. It can be an acute condition or a chronic condition that can worsen over time. Arthritis is a condition that causes joint pain and inflammation and can exponentially worsen the condition. Joint and muscle pain require a holistic approach to treatment. Apart from providing relief from pain, it is important to help manage the condition to prevent the recurrence of the pain. Using Ayurvedic oil for muscle pain can be helpful to get some relief from symptoms.
What Are the Causes of Joint Pain?
Pain can affect any joint of the body. Joint pain can be because of frozen shoulders or adhesive capsulitis. Elbow joint pain can be due to tennis or golf elbow problems. Carpal tunnel syndrome can cause pain in the wrists. Achilles tendonitis, plantar fasciitis, and calcaneal bursitis can cause pain in the foot joints. Pain in the knee joints is commonly due to osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis.
The various causes of joint pain include:
- Degeneration or wearing out of the cartilages due to age, lack of exercise, and vitamin deficiencies.
- Inflammation in the tissues, which may be autoimmune in nature or due to any other reason.
- Damages in the joint due to injury or exertion.
Joint pain causes swelling in the joints, stiffness, severe pain, difficulty in moving or mobility, and limited range of movement. Sometimes, it may be accompanied by fever.
Ayurvedic Perspective on Joint Pain
According to Ayurveda, joint pain may occur either due to Vata imbalance or due to accumulation of toxins or Ama. Any imbalance in the Vata Dosha can lead to excessive buildup of Vata. Since Vata is associated with movement, it can travel to the joints and cause the weakening of the tissues. As a result, the tissues are undernourished and this causes a depletion in the lubricant that protects the joints. This would lead to stiffness and pain while the joints are moved.
The other reason for joint pain is the build-up of toxins. Ayurveda believes that digestion is the key to good health. When digestion is affected for whatever reason, it weakens the digestive fire or Agni. This allows toxin levels to increase. The toxins then accumulate in the joints causing stiffness, and inflammation. Cold weather and humidity aggravate this condition causing an increase in pain.
Ayurveda recommends the use of a multi-pronged approach to help maintain joint and muscle health. The different ways helpful in managing pain include:
Using an Ayurvedic oil for leg pain and joint pain that is applied externally.
- Herbal supplements can be taken that help in maintaining Vata balance and toxins level.
- In severe cases, therapies like Panchakarma are advised to help reduce toxins from the body. Various types of Panchakarma therapies like Vamana, Virechana, Basti, Raktamokshana, and Nasyam help focus on specific parts of the body for cleansing the toxins.
- Diet plays an important role in the Ayurvedic perspective. The diet helps pacify the Vata Dosha and should include sour, salty, and sweet foods. A diet that increases acidity should be avoided. Foods rich in calcium should be consumed.
- Exercise is important to ensure the mobility of the joints. Yoga can help in maintaining healthy joint health.
Ayurveda Products for Joint and Muscle Pain
Ayurveda offers many products that can help manage joint pain and help provide relief from symptoms. Some of the popular products that help in maintaining joint and muscle health are:
Bala Thailam: This product is an Ayurvedic massage oil for back pain that helps strengthen the muscles. It helps to balance vitiation in Vata Dosha.
Ksheerabala 101 Avarthi: This product is available in the form of capsules. It helps manage neuro-muscular pain. Conditions like sciatica and arthritis can be helped to be managed better through this product.
Lumbagest capsules: These capsules are helpful during back pain, sciatica, and spondylitis.
Karpooradi Thailam: This Ayurvedic oil for muscle stiffness helps maintain muscle and joint health. It can be used as an Ayurvedic muscle relaxant oil to help during pain.
KM Lepam: This is a cream that helps in reducing joint pain. It helps improve the flexibility of muscles.
Kottamchukkadi Thailam: This is the best Ayurvedic oil for leg pain. It helps in providing relief from Vata Dosha imbalance. It helps during joint pain and helps improve mobility in the joints.
Mahanarayana Oil: This is an Ayurvedic oil for neck pain, joint pain, and leg pain. It helps nourish the joints and muscles and helps improve circulation.
Ayurvedic Herbs Used as Ingredients to Treat Joint Pain
Ayurveda uses herbs sourced from nature to prepare health supplements. These products contain herbs that may be in powder or oil form. Some of the well-known ingredients used are:
- Nilgiri or Eucalyptus is used as an Ayurvedic oil for joint and muscle pain. The oil from the Nilgiri plant helps in reducing inflammation, thus helping during pain.
- Dashamoola is a traditional Ayurvedic formulation made from the roots of ten plants. This is one of the helpful anti-inflammatory products in Ayurveda. It helps in maintaining the Vata and helps manage joint pain.
- Nirgundi is one of the most popular and helpful herbs used in the management of arthritis and joint pain. Its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties help in managing inflammation, stiffness, and pain.
- Shallaki is a herb that helps in managing pain naturally. It helps in strengthening the joints and improves mobility.
The Ayurvedic approach states that problems like joint pain and muscle pain can be helped to be effectively and naturally managed. Using an Ayurvedic massage oil for muscle pain can help provide relief from pain. The Ayurvedic products listed in this article can help manage chronic pain. Ayurvedic products are safe, natural, and gentle on the body. If you are suffering from muscle pain or joint pain, then you can buy the Ayurvedic oil for muscle pain along with the other products listed by visiting Kerala Ayurveda’s website. Order online to get the product delivered to your home. These products can help you experience wellness naturally.