Reference Text: (Ashtangahridayam)
PRESENTATION: 10 ML
Anu oil or anu thailam is a product from Kerala Ayurveda that helps heal respiratory problems due to allergies. Anu oil is dispensed as Ayurvedic nasal drops that act as a complementary treatment for respiratory allergies. It is a nasya oil that is meant for nasal application. The nozzle of the bottle needs to be inserted near the nose and then squeezed to release the oil. It should be used as per the directions of the physician.
This nasya treatment for sinusitis can be very helpful in providing relief from the painful symptoms of a sinus infection. It can help to clear nasal blockage and help in providing relief from pain. It is an ayurvedic medicine for sinusitis that is prepared as the Ayurvedic text Ashtangahrudyam.
The anu taila uses are as follows:
- It can help in solving problems related to the head, nose, throat that occur due to allergies.
- It can provide relief from respiratory problems.
- This ayurvedic nasal drops for sinus is quite helpful in alleviating symptoms of sinusitis.
- One of the main anu thailam uses is lubricating the nose that helps in clearing blocked nose.
Ayurveda is an ancient science that promotes holistic well being to lead a healthy and disease-free life. Hence, in addition to taking Ayurvedic medicines, following a daily regimen of healthy practices is necessary as well. Also called Dinacharya in Ayurveda, it helps to sync our bodies according to the master cycle of nature and regulate other rhythms.
Dinacharya focuses on both the physical and mental aspects of well-being that should be followed every day. As a part of your Ayurvedic Dinacharya, two drops of Anu thailam can be administered through each nostril followed by deep breathing. This helps to keep the airway clear and strengthens general immunity. Nasal drops of Anu thailam can be used along with cow ghee or Panchendriya Vardhan thailam after a light facial massage for nasal and upper body cleansing. This is an effective method that helps to eliminate excess Kapha from the head, nose and throat.
In addition, phenomenal effects can be seen on the face, hair, shoulders and chest from using Anu thailam. It prevents wrinkles, grey hair, hair loss and premature aging.
Anu thailam requires many ingredients.
The prominent ingredients among them include:
- Jivanthi is Leptadenia reticulata, a plant used to promote vitality.
- It is a tridosha hari medicine in Ayurveda, used to balance all the three doshas.
- It can help treat ear problems and nasal discharge.
- It is used in the treatment of cough and asthma.
- Yashtimadu is Glycyrrhiza glabra also known as licorice.
- It is an emollient and hence used to treat cough and symptoms of wheezing.
- It is used to treat respiratory problems and chest congestion.
- It is anti-inflammatory and hence helpful to treat sinusitis.
- Hrivera is Pavonia odorata, a medicinal herb.
- It helps to balance pitta and kapha doshas.
- It is used to improve immunity.
- It can be used in the treatment of cold and eye diseases.
- Bilva is Aegel mermeros, known as Bael and referred to as God’s fruit.
- It is one of the Dashamoola and well-known for its medicinal properties.
- It helps in treating all types of respiratory problems including asthma.
- It is anti-inflammatory in nature.
- Rasna is Alpinia galanga, a member of the Zingiberaceae family.
- It has anti-toxic properties helpful in removing toxins from the body.
- It has anti-ageing properties and can help in treating premature greying.
- It is used in the treatment of respiratory ailments.
Many people commonly experience allergies causing respiratory problems. Some people experience these problems during the cold weather while others face this problem in spring due to pollen. There could be various reasons for an allergy that has common symptoms such as runny nose, nasal discharge, cough, wheezing, and sinusitis. Allergies need to be tackled at the root. The cause must be tackled to prevent this problem from repeating.
Allergic Respiratory Causes
Allergic respiratory conditions, including sinusitis, happens mainly because of allergy to a particular substance, known as an allergen. For some people, pollen is the allergen and their conditions worsen during spring season when plants release pollen in the air. The immune system of the body perceives the pollen grain as a danger and triggers off an allergic reaction. This includes coughing, running nose, wheezing, blocked sinuses, etc.
Allergies can be caused by smoke, dust, and pollution. Any of these factors may trigger an allergic reaction.
Some of the common causes of allergy include:
- Smoke, including pollution
- Cold air
- Consumption of cold water, cold drinks, and cold foods
- Fatty food
- Allergens like pollen
- Weakness of the immune system due to genetic predisposition
Ayurveda’s view of respiratory allergy
In Ayurveda, all diseases and health problems are believed to occur as a result of imbalance in the Vata, Pitta, and Kapha doshas. This imbalance in Vata, Pitta, and Kapha can occur due to reasons like undesirable changes in food and drink, changes in weather, and a change in lifestyle. This can disturb the normal functioning of the agni or digestion in the body. This leads to the production of Ama or toxins in the body.
The ama can cause a severe imbalance in the doshas causing allergic reactions and other problems like sinusitis. The main reason is that the dosha imbalance because of ama weakens the immune system. When the immune system weakens, the body reacts strongly against any potential threat like an allergen. This leads to reactions like running nose, sneezing, coughing, sinusitis, wheezing, etc.
Since any of the doshas may be affected, allergies can be classified based on the dosha that is affected. Vata allergies occur due to imbalance in the vata dosha and can lead to gastric-related symptoms like gas and bloating. Wheezing, headache, tinnitus, and sleeplessness are common vata related symptoms.
Pitta allergies lead to reaction on the skin like eczema, rashes, itching. It also causes disturbance in the digestive system.
Kapha allergies are the major cause of respiratory problems. This increases more during spring due to increased pollen content in the air. It causes irritation of the nose and mouth, leading to sneezing, running nose, and hay fever. It also leads to infection in the sinuses causing pain and congestion. Cough, accumulation of mucus leading to chest congestion, wheezing, and asthma can occur due to allergies caused by kapha imbalance.
Apart from allergens in the air, certain foods like milk products can increase kapha-based allergies. Change of seasons disturbs the digestive agni. Not managing diet properly can lead to ama accumulating, which weakens the immune system leading to allergies.
1. Is there any other form of Anu Thailam?
Anu Thailam is mostly available in the form of drops. It’s a product from Kerala Ayurveda and it helps heal respiratory problems that are caused due to allergies. The oil is dispensed as nasal drops that treat any respiratory allergies.
2. Can an asthmatic person consume this product?
Yes, a patient suffering from asthma can use this product for nasal insufflation because it consists of a prominent ingredient called Jivanthi. This plant is used to treat ear problems, nasal discharge, cough, and asthma.
3. What are the other allergies which Anu Thailam helps to cure?
Anu Thailam helps combat allergies that affect the head, nose, and throat. The common allergies that the oil helps cure are caused due to changes in weather, pollen, dust, pollution, consumption of chilled beverages, food that has gluten or dairy, and a weak immune system. Anu Thailam helps clear the airways and strengthens the immune system.
4. Can it be used by the age group of 8-12?
Yes, Anu Thailam can be used on children above the age of five, so kids between 8-12 years can use the oil. Children below the age of five should not use this oil as it may not be tolerable for them.
5. Is it available for more than 10ml?
Currently, only 10 ml is in stock on the Kerala Ayurveda website. You can purchase multiple quantities in one go depending on your requirements.